Friday, February 10, 2012

Suze Orman, what are you up to now?

For those who might not be familiar with the Suze Orman Show, which I admit is a guilty pleasure of the kind that makes KLK cringe, Suze is a self-styled expert in personal finances whose real talent lies in an outsized personality. I'm sure she has a well-stocked, fundamentally competent staff that examines the finances of, and makes recommendations for, the show's call-ins so Suze can lecture them in her tough-love style, making the rest of us happy that our mortgages aren't under water, that we don't have tens of thousands of dollars in student loans to repay, that we don't have a mother-in-law who is sucking our bank accounts dry, and that our credit card balance is pretty much duly payable every month.
But in spite of her good reputation, she does have a bit of a tenuous grasp on reality sometimes. I've heard her tell late middle-aged retiree-wanna-be's that if they would just invest "that money" at a 4% annual rate of return, by the time they're 70 they'll have a million dollars on which to retire comfortably. I would prefer if she would just come out and tell us where we can get a steady 4%, I'll move all my spare cash there ASAP. Anyway, someone else thinks she has an even more tenuous grasp on real life, apparently. I couldn't keep myself from laughing at this highly annotated ad on the bus - for the most innocent and certainly most plebeian of financial institutions, credit unions.
What Money Susie? I'm not Republican, or a Military Contractor, or Dick Cheney

1 comment: