Sunday, April 26, 2009

Zestien prentbriefkarten (Sixteen postcards)

Atalanta


Blauwborst


Common Yellowthroat


Doodshoofdvlinder


Dwergmuis


Eeckhoorn


Evening Grosbeak


Great Horned Owl


Kievit


Kraanvogel


Oranjetip



Partris


Smient


Staartmees


Terek-ruiter


Woestijntapuit


I've had this lovely packet of postcards for many years. The images, dated 1979, are by Dutch nature artist H.J. Slijper. On Google search I'd say he (or she) is underappreciated. There's not even a Wikipedia entry (in English, at least) for this obviously talented painter. Some day I'll look for the translations of the subjects identified in Dutch, though I can speculate that "kraanvogel" are cranes, the blauwborst might translate as bluebreast, and that the image of the squirrel is somehow identified as an acorn... The scientific names are there. Stay tuned, and enjoy these luscious graphics, until I can do my homework, or please feel free to supply some answers if your Dutch is good or you know your British, European, and Eurasian species. Click on the images for an enormous burst of detail on your screen.

Addendum: For interesting updates on this post, see http://veronicawaldsamusingmusings.blogspot.com/2011/02/musings-on-bloggings.html

1 comment:

  1. They are lovely images - I especially like the owl and the squirrel. We don't have squirrels in New Zealand so when I go overseas I love to view them.
    On my last trip to the UK I visited the island of Jersey where the endangered English red squirrel still lives. The land for the SPCA animal sanctuary there was donated by one of my ancestors way back in the early 1900's. I visited the sanctuary and they had some little red squirrels they were raising.

    Such a privilege to see them.

    ReplyDelete