Sunday, September 21, 2008

The changing of the seasons

I often like to commemorate the transition of the seasons - any seasons, fall to winter, spring to summer - and now, from summer to fall. I can hardly wait for the days to cool off, for the first early morning hints of temperatures that dropped to freezing or below overnight, and for, of course, the sensory glories of changing foliage, wet brilliant multicolored leaves underfoot. Is there anything about summer I might miss? Sure - baby animals all around, birdsong, glowing sunny days, people on the sidewalks and parks basking in the easy living of summer. But when I think about it, it's probably the summer fruits that I miss the most. The eating of course is terrific, but the mixed smell of ripening fruits in a bowl is the best. Even though of course we get fruits and vegetables from around the world 24/7/365, January produce just cannot match what comes to us May through September.

No comments:

Post a Comment