Sunday, December 31, 2006

Ugly Ducklings, Beautiful Swans


It just so happens that I saw The Devil Wears Prada for the first time last night, and today watched a few episodes of Ugly Betty. The Devil Wears Prada is the story of ugly duckling Andy Sachs (Anne Hathaway) made (exernally) beautiful through the hellfire experience of working for Miranda Priestly (no less than Meryl Streep). Ugly Betty, on the other hand, is the story of an ugly duckling making those around her, already externally beautiful, lovely, or at least, lovable, on the inside. Both, as everyone knows, are set in Vogue-like high-style New York fashion magazine businesses, where those with less than stellar fashion sense, or more than size 2 bodies, are viewed like visitors from another planet.

Especially the Ugly Betty character (performed so ably by America Ferrara) made me stop to think about co-workers through the years who have similarly influenced me. Looking back, particularly those who took negative events and personalities with equanimity had a lot to teach me. I won't name names here, but thanks to all of you who help me learn to put things in perspective. Your lessons have stood me in very good stead all these years.

"That's all."

No, it's not. Happy new year to all my role models, young and old!

No comments:

Post a Comment